Monday, 30 November 2009

Books by Covers

If you're reading this at LJ, head over to http://gotmockery.blogspot.com/ for the images!



So that's me at my graduation. Yay! More pictures at my facebook/flickr if you know where those are, if you don't, comment and I'll link :3

I'm kinda contemplating starting an image posting blog called "Books by Covers" or something, based around bad cover art for good films/books (especially films).
It would probably include these two which I found in HMV recently:



No wonder these are selling for so little. The quality of the characters on the box art isn't even as good as the film was, let alone the layout! Why do people feel that after cell shading an entire film, they have to make the characters on the cover 'realistically' shaded.


Oh god Ferngully no, not you too! :(

These films are great and there are kids who won't see them because of their naff covers :(

I'm pretty sure Treasure Planet wasn't much better either.
Yep there it is.

Now they're not necessarily terrible in their own rights, but when you know the films and the content and how much better the work is in the film, it makes it look horrible.
What I find most irritating about these box arts is that, at least in the case of Titan AE, it has not been the first incarnation of box art for the particular film, and otherwise there have been much much better artworks created for posters and the suchlike.

Such as these:

(This first one is I think the cover that was on the dvd of Titan AE I have in Cardiff somewhere)





No comments: